Senator Tommy Banks

Thank you for your message about the seal hunt.

I am a senator from Alberta, and I know very little about seals or about hunting them. There are colleagues though, in the Senate, who know a lot about seals and the seal hunt, and to whose advice I pay particular attention.

There are as many opinions about the seal hunt as there are people. Fishermen and most scientists tell us that the explosion in the seal herd populations (it’s about three times what it was a few years ago) is a very serious problem of imbalance, and that it constitutes a very serious ecological challenge, particularly to cod stocks on which seals feed, and that are being severely depleted.

Animal rights activists tell us that the hunt is barbaric and inhumane.

You may be assured that should any legislative measure, including the Bill devised by Senator Harb, come before the Senate, it will receive the most careful consideration, and that I will follow those deliberations very closely. This is a matter that engages many Canadians, as is evidenced by the vast volume of messages received by my colleagues and me on all sides of the question.

Thank you again for letting me have your thoughts.
Tommy Banks
Senator for Alberta